Dark lips or dark spots on your lips can make you feel self-conscious and may also be a cause for concern. After all, a set of dazzling whites isn’t the only thing that makes for a beautiful smile, a pretty pout matters too! If you’re ready to learn how to get soft pink lips naturally, this guide has all you need to know.
1. Tips To Get Pink Lips Naturally
2. How Can You Get Pink Lips With Home Remedies
3. FAQs on Pink Lips
The skin on the lips is very different to your normal skin; while the epidermis or external skin is highly keratinised, the skin on your lips is less keratinised with no sebaceous glands, sweat glands, or facial hair. And just as people have different skin, so do they have different lips and lip colours! Composed wholly of soft tissue, lips are covered with thin, delicate skin with blood vessels closer to the surface. It is because of this that lips are brighter or darker than the rest of the face.
Further to this, your skin colour and lip colour depending on the amount of melanin, a pigment that gives colour to skin, hair, and eyes. If you are dark-skinned, your skin contains more melanin than light-skinned individuals. Certain conditions like pregnancy or medical illnesses can cause your skin to produce more melanin, leading to hyperpigmentation which can manifest as dark lips or dark spots on lips.
If you’ve wondered how to get pink lips, then know this: Smoking, sun exposure, and certain medications can also cause hyperpigmentation!
Tips To Get Pink Lips Naturally?
Listed here are certain habits or mistakes that can make your lips darker than they naturally are:
- Prolonged and excessive sun exposure
Sunlight triggers your body to create melanin so as to absorb ultraviolet rays. While melanin protects your skin from some of the damage caused by sunlight, it also causes the skin to tan. But how to get pink lips when you have to be out in the sun all day? Simple! To keep your lips from darkening, wear sun protection on them. Use a lip balm with SPF (sun protection factor) 30 or higher. Reapply every two hours or more frequently if your lips become wet. Quality lip balms also prevent the sun’s rays from damaging collagen, helping keep your lips supple.
Dehydration makes your lips prone to dryness. The skin on the lips can become rough and peel off in patches, leading to chapped, injured skin and dark spots. Drink at least eight glasses of water through the day and also eat plenty of watermelons, cucumber, and other such water-rich foods to get pink lips.
Licking your lips is a detrimental habit that makes your lips and the area around your mouth darker. Saliva contains enzymes that help break down food, and when you repeatedly lick lips, it can irritate the thin, delicate skin, causing it to become darker in colour. What’s more, the more you lick your lips, the drier they become, leading to chapped skin! How to get pink lips when you are habituated to licking them? Just make a conscious effort and avoid licking your lips!
Caffeine can not only stain your teeth but also make lips darker over time, depending on how much tea or coffee you consume. Consider cutting back on your daily intake and always wash down your mouth and lips with a glass of water after your drink.
Years of smoking can result in darker lip colour. Nicotine and tar transfer to the lips as you inhale cigarette smoke, which causes discolouration. It also leads to constricted blood vessels in the skin, which lead to build-up and limited blood flow in the lips, darkening them in colour or giving them a blotchy appearance. Smoking also accelerates the skin’s ageing process.
- Using old or inferior quality lip products
Low quality lip products use chemical formulations that can harm the delicate skin on your lips. Using such products for a prolonged period can cause your lips to darken in colour. Using expired products on your lips can also harm them. If you’re wondering how to get pink lips quickly, switch to all-natural skincare and makeup products.
Eating disorders like bulimia, which involve repetitive vomiting, can cause long-term damage to the lips because of corrosive stomach acid coming in contact with the skin. Not eating well-balanced meals means losing out on the wide range of nutrients necessary for beautiful skin and overall health. Check for iron deficiency if you have dark lips; lack of the oxygen-carrying compound haemoglobin, responsible for the red colour of blood, can cause discolouration of the lips.
Tip: Apart from these factors, lack of basic lip care and hygiene, and certain medications like chemotherapy drugs, antidepressants and antipsychotic drugs, photosensitising drugs, etc. can also cause lips to darken.
How Can You Get Pink Lips With Home Remedies?
Follow these DIY remedies:
- Mix a tablespoon of brown sugar and a tablespoon of honey in a bowl. Use this coarse mixture as a scrub on your lips using your index finger. Gently massage lips for a minute or so to exfoliate dead skin cells and to improve blood circulation to make lips healthier and lighter in colour. Rinse your lips after five minutes. This remedy can be used a couple of times a week.
- Soak some fresh rose petals in a little milk overnight. In the morning, mash the petals and milk to make a paste; add more milk if required. Apply the paste onto lips and rinse off after 15 minutes. You can use this remedy every day or night. Rose petals and milk, both being natural moisturisers, will hydrate your lips and make them soft.
- How to get pink lips using fruits? Take strawberries, aloe vera gel, and organic honey in equal quantities in a bowl. Mix well and apply, massaging gently. Rinse after 15-20 with cool water.
- Mix enough milk with half teaspoon turmeric powder to form a paste. Apply onto lips and allow to dry for five minutes. Scrub off gently and rinse with water. Follow with a hydrating lip balm. Turmeric is known to help treat pigmentation while milk hydrates lips. Use this remedy every two days.
- Mix a teaspoon of honey with half a teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply this lip mask to the lips and rinse with warm water after 15 minutes. Honey is a humectant which helps hydrate lips while lemon works as a lightening agent.
Tip: Use these remedies for pink lips and see the results for yourself!
FAQs On Pink Lips
Q. What are some basic lip care steps?
A. Check out these dos and don’ts for beautiful lips:
- How to get pink lips daily? After brushing your teeth, go over your lips gently with your toothbrush or fingers to exfoliate dead skin.
- Keep lips moisturised at all times using a natural lip balm.
- Never pick at your lips as this will only cause them to bleed and dry out more. Just apply a soothing lip balm and let your lips heal.
- Avoid licking your lips; if you feel they’re drying out, apply natural lip balm.
Q. How can I make lip balm at home?
A. Go natural with homemade lip balm! Use these recipes:
- Take a tablespoon of beeswax in a double boiler. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil and a little honey. Take off heat and blend together with two vitamin E capsules. Transfer into lip balm container and let cool.
- Melt four teaspoons of beeswax and blend with two teaspoons of cocoa powder. Mix in a couple of teaspoons of sweet almond oil or coconut oil. Let cool in a lip balm container.
- Melt a tablespoon of beeswax and blend with half a tablespoon of coconut or olive oil, a tablespoon of cocoa butter, a couple of tablespoons of rose oil, and a few drops of vanilla extract. Fill your lip balm container and allow to set.