You may have read ‘If my hair looks bad, I look bad.’ Well, imagine months of only good hair? Yes, it is possible with cysteine hair treatment. If you are someone who excessively uses the straightening iron, curler and/or harsh chemicals on your hair, you know how dry, damaged, frizzy and unmanageable they can get! While there are several treatments to make your hair smooth, shiny, nourished and healthy again, not many compare to Cysteine. Whether it is giving yourself another chance to repair your hair or just wanting to get rid of your stubborn curls, the cysteine treatment is your one-stop solution. Hair health is more about what is underneath the scalp, although it reflects on what is above! So cysteine is an amino acid, which will lend the scalp the protein it requires, strengthening it. Continue reading to find out everything you need to know before getting a cysteine hair treatment.
1. What is Cysteine Hair Treatment?
3. Pros and Cons
4. Precautions and After-Care Tips
5. Make The Right Choice!
What is Cysteine Hair Treatment?
You may have heard of Keratin Treatment but what is Cysteine Hair Treatment? It is a semi-permanent treatment that has gained popularity in recent years because of its promising benefits. Cysteine, a kind of complex hair protein, is used in the cysteine treatment which lends shine and strength to the hair, protecting it from further damage. While there are numerous benefits, it is totally a personal choice of what kind of treatment you are comfortable with. So, before you book your appointment in the salon, read the process, pros and cons of this treatment.
Tip: Cysteine treatment is a complex procedure so make sure professional hairdressers are working on your hair, or else it could be a disaster!
If you want a pamper session, plump for a cysteine hair treatment because it is around three hours long so you will enjoy the perfect break you deserve!
- The foremost step is an expert will examine your hair type- length, texture, volume, level of frizziness, etc. – and customise a cysteine treatment for you- the duration, amount of cysteine used, etc.
- The next step is he/she will thoroughly rinse your hair to discard any dirt, impurities and excess oils.
- In the next step, the application of the complex formula is started on semi-wet hair. This step ensures that there is better penetration of the cysteine.
- Following this, the hair is completely blow-dried. The hairdresser will then take small sections of the hair and start applying the cysteine throughout the hair and on the roots evenly.
- Once the hair is completely covered with the formula (professions do not even leave a single strand!), it is kept for 45-60 minutes. Allowing it to rest will assure better results because it gives the hair and the roots time to absorb all the protein and nutrients.
- Thereafter, the hair is exposed to heat- giving it a light blow dry and ironing treatment that apprehends the sleek look even more. Cysteine is activated by heat, so this step carries weight.
- Lastly, the hair is once again washed with shampoo and a deep conditioner which is specifically suited for treated hair. When dried, you will realise that the hair is no longer dry, damaged, wavy or frizzy. Instead, it is only straight, smooth, shiny, bouncy and how can we forget? Healthy!
Tip: If you are restless or impatient, maybe carry a magazine, newspaper or some good music with you to make your cysteine treatment enjoyable!
Pros and Cons
- Cysteine Treatment is known to be quite safe when compared to keratin and other straightening treatments.
- It gives you a natural straight look, nothing artificial.
- If you wish to get straight hair temporarily, this is just the job for you. It will not alter or amend the hair structure permanently.
- It is gentle and more efficient than Keratin treatment.
- The formula does not contain any formaldehyde substitutes that are commonly found in chemicals of other procedures.
- Because this treatment works directly on the roots, there is no difference between the new growth and the treated hair, unlike the Japanese straightening.
- Even when the effect of the treatment reduces, the hair still stays healthy for a long time.
- Last, but not least, it gives you manageable and frizz-free hair that you can style in different ways for any and every occasion.
- While cysteine treatment comes with promising benefits, it is also considered to be one of the most expensive hair treatments. In India, the cost ranges from Rs 5,000 – Rs 12,000.
- If you are looking for a permanent option for getting rid of frizzy curly, this treatment is not recommended to you because the results start fading away within 12-16 weeks.
- The treatment blocks you from using henna, dying, colouring or hair highlighting. Professionals claim that it might strip away the cysteine complex from your hair.
- Another restriction is one can only use sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner.
- Swimming or any kind of chlorine exposure is also not recommended.
- Even oiling the hair is discouraged because it might reduce the effect of the treatment.
Tip: Are you a pregnant woman wanting to have stylish and straight hair? No worries, keratin is safe for you too, but you may want to consult a doctor.
Precautions and After-Care Tips
As part of the treatment, you are advised to use ONLY cysteine hair shampoo, conditioner, hair mask and serum. Some of the things you need to note before getting a cysteine treatment are:
- You can only use a sulphate-free shampoo.
- You cannot wash or even tie your hair two days after getting the cysteine treatment for a better and longer outcome.
- Use a cysteine based serum to elongate the life of the treatment- it will work wonders!
- Shampoo thrice a week.
- Refrain from using henna.
- Avoid swimming.
- Do not oil your hair
- Avoid metallic dyes
- Get a monthly hair spa – yes, pamper yourself!
- Do not use any complex chemicals or try chemical treatments on your hair.
Tip: After you get your cysteine hair treatment, consult your hairdresser- in case there is any specific hair care routine or products that should be used for your hair type and texture!
Make The Right Choice!
The kind of hair treatment you choose is also based on your personality, needs and requirements. Give this a serious thought, consult a stylist if required and consider all the factors. If you are willing to commit to your hair’s health there is no looking back. While cysteine treatment reigns as one of the best hair care treatments, it comes with its own set of responsibilities and difficulties, but again what hair or skin treatment doesn’t? So do not get intimidated by the number of things you will need to avoid, instead think how perfectly your hair will match the outfit that you have been dreaming to wear!
Tip: Read up online, come up with all possible doubts and questions and consult with an expert before you get any treatment done.
Q. Can cysteine hair treatment cause hair loss?
A. No, in fact, it aids hair growth. Cysteine is a kind of protein that is essential for hair’s health. It is advisable to not get repetitive cysteine, keratin or straightening treatments. But they cause less harm than repeated blow-drying, curling, ironing and using chemicals on the hair.
Q. Can I get a cysteine hair treatment after colouring my hair?
A. As we all know, colouring the hair spoils its texture- making it dry and dull. So it is obvious that someone would want to smoothen it. Yes, you can get a cysteine treatment even when you have coloured hair. But it is important to remember that this treatment was taken at least 3 months before cysteine. It is also recommended to not dye the hair a few months after the treatment.
Q. How long does cysteine hair treatment last? Can I do a follow-up treatment too?
A. Any cysteine hair treatment will last between 12-16 weeks, depending on how you take care of the hair. Yes, you can get a follow-up treatment but it is advisable to not get repetitive cysteine, keratin or straightening treatments. You may want to opt for a more permanent and promising treatment.
Also Read: Protein Treatments For Hair
People who viewed this also viewed